We are passionate about what we do and we love to share our experience and expertise with our customers to help them into work or training.
Each year we provide students and unemployed customers with the opportunity to become part of our team to gain valuable work experience.
We understand the importance of gaining the right work experience. Through your work experience placement, we want you to:
- take on responsibility
- develop your confidence and skills
- clarify what type of work you’d like to do in the future
- share your ideas and help us improve our services
- enjoy your time with us
Who can apply?
If your landlord is Family Housing (Birmingham), Optima Community Association (Family Optima), Whitefriars Housing, West Mercia Homes or WM Housing Group and are over 18 years old and looking for paid employment, then you may be eligible to apply.
If you’re application is successful, there will be no effect on your benefits.
We have a wide range of work experience placements on offer including in the following teams: Repairs, Gardening, Communal Cleaning, Corporate Services, Human Resources, Finance, Customer Services, Customer Engagement and Support, Development, Sales, Procurement and Regeneration.
Our work experience placements can give you experience of:
- Working with customers / customer service
- Outreach and support activities
- Administration and organisation
- Tenancy / housing management
- Housing repairs / maintenance
- Communal cleaning
- Gardening / horticulture
What you can expect
- High quality work experience placement
- Induction training
- A one-off work clothing voucher
- Training programme and job search support
- Effective line management
- A ‘buddy’ to support you throughout your placement
- Ongoing support after the placement to help you into work or training
- Support with travel costs to and from your placement for eligible Job Centre Plus clients
- Taking up a placement with us will not affect your benefit payments.
To find out more
- call us on 0300 7906 555
- Talk to your Job Centre Plus advisor
We are committed to offering high quality school work experience placements to students attending schools in areas where we provide housing. These are particularly aimed at residents who live in our properties. We believe that high-quality work experience can help young people have a positive insight into the world of work, help build confidence and raise aspirations about what they might do work-wise in the future.
We offer a range of week-long school work experience placements across the WM Housing (Family Optima, Homes, Whitefriars and our Head Office) in June and July each year.
These placement opportunities will be advertised directly to our residents and through local schools in our areas from September for the following June and July.
Students who are interested in applying for a placement will be asked to complete an Expression of Interest form and we will allocate placements in January 2017.
To find out more: