As the cold weather continues, more and more of us have found ourselves switching the heating on and dusting off our electric blankets. It’s important to remind ourselves how to avoid the dangers whilst using them. Most manufacturers provide their own recommendations, which if followed, reduce the risk of injury and malfunction.
However, here are some general tips and advice on how you can use yours safely…
Electric blanket: safety tips
- Avoid using the bedding on adjustable beds or chairs (as wires could slip into the mechanisms)
- Avoid using the bedding with infants, or people who are immobile and can’t operate the controls
- Ensure the heated bedding always lies flat
- Regularly check the blanket for signs of damage
- Avoid using the blanket whilst it’s still folded
- Never insert pins to hold the blanket in place on the bed
- Make sure your pets aren’t lying on the bedding whilst it’s switched on
- Turn off your electric blanket when it’s not in use
Maintaining your electric blanket
If your blanket is over 10 years-old you should consider replacing it with a newer model. However, it’s important to point out that blankets should not be disposed of with general domestic waste.
You can visit the Electrical Safety First website to find out more about using your electric blanket safely.