Whitefriars have recently introduced a new Grime Scene programme to combat the increasing number of fly tipping incidents across Coventry.
The programme is initially being piloted in five fly tipping hot spots:
- Bushberry Avenue, Tile Hill
- Mary Slessor Street, Ridgethorpe and Marlcroft garage sites, Willenhall
- Manor Farm
- Ashorne and Wappenbury Close, Wood End.
- Goring Road, Upper Stoke
When fly tipping occurs in these areas on Whitefriars’ land we will now be taking the following action:
- The area will be cordoned off with tape and Grime Scene notices will be put in place.
- If it is safe to do so, we will investigate the fly tipped rubbish to try and identify where it has come from.
- Photographs will be taken for our records.
- Residents in the local area will be notified and provided with Grime Scene reporting cards.
- If we identify the perpetrator we will contact the council to potentially prosecute.
- The fly tipping will be removed after seven days.
Please note that this is only if the fly tipping is on Whitefriars’ land and the council will deal with their incidents separately.
Fly tipping of controlled waste is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £50,000, unlimited if dealt with at Crown Court, or an offender may face a prison sentence.
Permitting fly tipping
It is also an offence to allow fly tipping. Householders have a Duty of Care to take reasonable measures to make sure their waste is disposed of correctly. Failure to do so could lead to a fine of up to £5,000.